How to Start a Takeoff
Takeoffs will default to imperial measurements but you can use the Takeoff Settings sub-tab to switch a project to metric.
- First, open a plan sheet from the document list view on the plans tab or the thumbnail view on the takeoff tab
- Make sure you’ve already set the scale and you’re on the takeoff tab and select “New Takeoff”
- Enter the takeoff name, select a measurement type from the dropdown options, and any other details (optionally you may add a takeoff description, change the appearance, or attach an item or assembly)
- Click “Start Measuring”
- Point and click using your mouse to begin measuring. Click once to begin or to change directions and double click or press enter to finish.*Based on the selected measurement type, you will find additional takeoff options in the toolbar on the right (including autocount, cutout, rectangle, and polygon tools)
- Optionally, you can apply a multiplier or label before you complete a takeoff *We recommend adding label groups to your takeoff for better organization and reporting
- Once you’ve completed your desired measurements, click “Finish Measuring” to complete your takeoff. Your completed takeoff will appear in the takeoff list view (with the total measured quantity, rounded up to the nearest whole number)
Repeat these steps to create additional takeoffs
Navigate and edit your existing takeoff templates
- Use the search bar to filter your list view by takeoff name
- Group you takeoff templates by plan name for quick reference
- You can control the visibility (hide/unhide) of a takeoff on any plan sheet, using the eyeball icon (which appears when hovering over a template)
- You can edit, duplicate, delete, or add existing takeoffs to your library using the ellipse (3 dots) to the right of each takeoff template
- Additionally, you can use "Duplicate and Modify" from the bottom of the takeoff settings menu to create a copy of the current takeoff with a new name, description, and assembly options.
- Clicking the right-pointing arrow will start the takeoff if you want to add more measurements
- From the takeoff “Library” sub-tab, click the green + in the takeoff list to quickly add as many takeoffs as you want to a project
Copy and paste measurements
- In measuring mode, select edit and choose “Select Single” to select one measurement or “Multiselect” to select multiple measurements from the toolbar on the right side (or use the appropriate hotkeys)
- Hover over the desired measurement(s). Click once for single select and draw a box around the desired area for multiselect.
- Once selected, you can use the appropriate hotkeys, or navigate back to the edit option in the right toolbar, where you will see an option to copy the selected.
- Click copy to duplicate the measurement details (including attached items and assemblies) and navigate to the area (on the same plan sheet or a different one) you would like to paste the measurement(s) to.
- Click paste from the same edit menu and then click anywhere on the plan sheet.
- Your copied measurements will appear and you can place them anywhere on the sheet by clicking once more (click multiple times to keep pasting the same measurement(s)).
- To exit paste mode, you must navigate back to edit in the toolbar and select a different edit option.
How to use the multiplier
If you’re dealing with a repeating floor or the same unit type on multiple floors and want to measure it once, the multiplier is a great way to account for the identical structures that need measuring.
If you’re starting a new takeoff
- Once you’ve entered your takeoff details and clicked “Start Measuring”, you’ll see a multiplier option under your ‘Measurement Type’ Inputs
- Here you will enter the number you would like to multiply by
- Click the “Save” button
- Complete your takeoff like normal
- Once you click “Finish Measuring”, the multiplier will duplicate those calculations based on the specified whole number.
If you’re editing an existing takeoff
- Start by using the single or multiselect option in the toolbar on the right
- Select or draw a rectangle around the measurement(s) you want to multiple.
- In the left panel, enter the number you would like to multiply by
- Click the “Save” button
*If you have an item or assembly attached to the takeoff, material quantities will also be multiplied.
If you need additional assistance, please contact us.