Maximizing Speed and Performance
If you spend a lot of time online or have been visiting websites for a long period, then you may build up a sizeable cache. This may affect the speed and performance of your computer as you surf online, especially if you are low on hard drive capacity anyway. Clearing the cache frees up some space and may just speed things back up again.
Viewing Most Recent Pages
Each time you revisit a website, your cache is supposed to check to see if it has changed so that it can serve you the most up-to-date pages. This doesn't always work; sometimes the cache will load its older stored page instead, so you may not always get the newest version. If you clear the cache periodically, you force your browser to start over, ensuring that you are viewing updated pages and information.
Over time, your browser accumulates cache that eventually drags on your speed navigating from page to page. Clearing the cache once a week or just when you experience slowness will help resolve this. The following is a step-by-step guide to clearing your cache in our two recommended browsers: Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
1. On your computer, open Chrome.
2. At the top right, you will see three vertical dots. Click this, and a drop down menu will appear
3. Select "More tools" from the listed options.
4. Select "Clear browsing data" from the listed options
Note: Shortcut = ctrl + shift + delete
5. Set the Time range to All time
6. A new web page will open up. Make sure the only check box marked is the one saying "Cached images and files".
7. Click Clear data.
1. On your computer, open Firefox
2. At the top right, you will see three vertical lines followed by a diagonal line (looks kind of like a set of books). Click this to open the menu options
3. Select "History" from the listed options.
4. Select "Clear Recent History..." from the listed options.
5. A new menu box will appear. Under the "History" heading, make sure the only check box marked is the one saying "Cache". Click "Clear Now"
Once your cache is cleared in either browser, click "Refresh" and begin working again!